Minimizing Customer Environmental Impacts
We sell products and services that transform the way our customers work. In so doing, we are minimizing their environmental impacts while also raising their operational efficiency and productivity.
- Our innovative products and services make our customers' jobs and lives easier and more enjoyable while also shrinking their environmental footprints.
- Our products and services enable new business processes and offer outstanding economic and environmental value.
Shrinking the Environmental Footprint of Offices with a Combination of Performance and Efficiency
With built-in PrecisionCore lineheads, the WF-C21000 is a high-speed multi-function inkjet capable of print speeds up to 100 ppm (pages per minute)*1. That's double the output of the typical office laser printer. Enabled by Epson's inkjet technologies, high-speed linehead inkjet multi-function printers (MFPs) take the combination of print performance and energy efficiency to the next level.
*1 For single-sided A4 sheets. WF-C20750: 75 ppm, WF-C20600: 60ppm
Ideas for the Office
Businesses are more sensitive than ever to environmental issues. Many try to save energy by adjusting their thermostat settings or adopting LED lighting. What they may overlook is that printers and MFPs account for about 10% of total power consumed in a typical office.
We see an opportunity to help them further cut their energy use and costs. Epson inkjet printers draw very little power when printing because ink droplets are ejected by the action of piezoelectric elements that contract under only a tiny applied voltage. In contrast, laser printers require heat–and a lot of electricity–to fuse toner to paper.
Power Consumed per Page
The graph below shows the estimated energy consumed per page. The figures, which are based on typical electricity consumption (TEC) values provided by the ENERGY STAR®, may be used as a guide to compare products running at different speeds. The graph indicates the superior energy efficiency of Epson WorkForce Enterprise series compared to typical A3 color laser office MFPs.
* Comparative simulation of power consumption per page. All A3 color MFPs with outputs of 45-100 ppm which is posted on energystar.gov as of July 14, 2020. Our per page calculations are based on TEC measurement.
Reduces Annual Electricity Consumption
WorkForce Enterprise printers are equipped with PrecisionCore Heat-Free Technology and use no heat in the printing process. That means they consume far less power than laser printers, which in turn reduces their running costs. According to the results of an independent study, WF-C20600 may consume, on average, 80% less electricity per year than comparable competing color laser multifunction printers.
* Testing was commissioned by Epson and conducted by Keypoint Intelligence. Epson selected four competitor’s models from worldwide top four best-selling vendor*3 in the 45-69 ppm color laser multi-function printer class. Epson WorkForce Enterprise WF-C20600 D4TW with 60 ppm. Devices were tested in default mode as per Keypoint Intelligence’s proprietary standard energy consumption test methods. Calculations were based on a weekday workload of 2 x 4 hours printing + 16 hours in sleep/standby mode, and weekend energy use of 48 hours in sleep/standby mode. A total of 69 pages of workload test pattern using DOC, XLS, PPT, HTML, PDF files and Outlook email messages were printed six times in each four-hour printing period.
*3 Source: IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker 2020Q2, Units Share by Company
Recognized for Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Conservation
Seiko Epson received Director-General’s Prize, The Agency for Natural Resources and Energy for these MFPs at the FY2018 Grand Prize for Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Conservation (Product Category & Business Model Category) awards ceremony sponsored by the Energy Conservation Center, Japan. Among other things, these blazingly fast linehead MFPs were recognized for their high energy efficiency and for the infrequency with which consumables and limited lifetime parts need to be replaced.
- High-speed linehead inkjet multi-function printers enabled by Epson PrecisionCore and Heat-Free Technology take the combination of print performance and energy efficiency to the next level.
- Epson WorkForce Enterprise series demonstrates superior energy efficiency than a typical A3 color laser office MFPs.
Changing Office Printing with Inkjet Technology
Printers with the innovative high-capacity replaceable ink pack system require minimal replacement of consumables and minimal energy, saving work while reducing environmental impacts.
Reducing Environmental Impacts with the High-Capacity Replaceable Ink Pack System
High-capacity ink packs not only reduce costs but contribute to reducing environmental impact by reducing resource consumption and minimizing waste. They also ease the burden of managing consumables replacement and help reduce downtime.
* Comparison of global warming impacts of consumables and their packaging. The 200,000 page*1*2 of the WF-C879R was used as the basis for comparing consumables*3 for the Epson LP-M8170, a color laser MFP (only available in Japan). Epson calculates the total global warming impacts of consumables (material, material processing) as CO2 emissions based on Epson's test conditions. Figures don't include ink and toner, but include the effects*4 of the material recycling. CO2 emissions will vary depending on customer printer use.
*1 Average life printing of this product.
*2 Ink pack yields are based on ISO/IEC 24711 and ISO/IEC 24712, Epson testes in default mode printing continuously, color yields are determined by taking an average yield.
*3 Numbers are calculated proportionally based on the number of pages printed.
*4 Reduction of CO2 emissions due to recycling.
Supporting Energy-Efficient Offices with Inkjet Printing
Because inkjet printers use no heat in the printing process, they consume far less power than laser printers, which in turn reduces the running cost.
Epson inkjet printers use Heat-Free Technology to deliver advanced customer benefits.
Epson Heat-Free Technology does not require heat in the ink ejection process.
Instead pressure is applied to the Piezo element, which flexes backwards and forwards firing the ink from the printhead.
In contrast, other technologies work with heat. Laser printers need to heat the fuser to enable printing, for example.
The fact that they do not use heat means that they use less power and produce less CO2 emissions．
Offering Low User Intervention, Thanks to High-Capacity Ink Packs with a Compact Body.
- High-capacity ink packs allow you to print up to 86,000 pages in mono and 50,000 pages in color*2without replacing ink and reduce CO2 emissions by up to 94% compared to their equivalent laser printers, which consume a large number of toner cartridges and photoconductor units.
- Epson Heat-Free Technology requires no heat to print consume far less energy than laser printers.
Adding New Value to Paper Contributes to a Circulating Society
The PaperLab A-8000, a dry-process office papermaking system, makes new paper from old right on-site using Dry Fiber Technology, which is characterized by waterless*1 defibration.
The PaperLab A-8000 was awarded the Minister’s Prize, The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, at the first EcoPro Awards ceremony (formerly called the Eco-Products Awards) sponsored by the Japan Environmental Management Association for Industry (JEMAI). In addition to outstanding and innovative paper recycling technology, the PaperLab was recognized for its use in producing environmental education materials, for its use as a symbol of environmental measures, and for helping to raise awareness about resource circulation.
*1 Moderate humidity is required.
Preservation of Water Resources
The PaperLab A-8000 uses only about 1/100th*2 of the water it takes to make an equivalent mass of ordinary paper, thus helping to conserve the Earth's precious water resources.
*2 Water consumption of ordinary paper includes water used in the growth of the trees that supply the virgin pulp. Ordinary paper means paper distributed in Japan.
Effective Use of Forest Resources
Paper is produced from wood taken from the forests, but the A-8000 spares our forests by producing new copy paper from used documents right in the office. Therefore, any paper produced by the A-8000 may be marked with the eco-label established by the 3R Promotion Forum Japan.
Reduction of Life Cycle CO2 Emissions
The A-8000 enables small paper recycling cycle by turning used paper into new paper right on site. Paper can be locally recycled for local consumption, producing fewer CO2 emissions across the life cycle compared to a traditional paper recycling process, when producing an equivalent mass of paper.
The A-8000 reproduces paper on the spot–a fresh surprise that can raise the environmental awareness of your staff and spawn further environmental action. Children who have had the opportunity to see paper recycled come away with insights and greater concern for the environment, as well as a desire to solve environmental issues with science.
Internal Case Study
Epson uses the A-8000 extensively to recycle and reproduce paper used on its own sites. Since 2018, this recycled paper has been used to produce orientation training materials and business documents. It is being used for calendars and employee business cards. This paper is also used for notebooks and memo pads, and we plan to further expand uses in the near future. The production of paper and paper-based goods has expanded the range of job opportunities for the staff of Epson Mizube Corp., a special subsidiary that supports the employment of persons with disabilities and is involved in these activities.
Epson also uses a machine that employs dry fiber technology to upcycle recovered paper into waste-ink pads for inkjet printers and sound absorbing materials for the A-8000.
Beyond direct benefits: raise children's awareness of the environment
The city government of Shiojiri decided to install a PaperLab after examining the potential environmental, security, and job creation benefits. We saw that we could promote environmental conservation through local recycling of used paper without stressing water resources. We saw that we could strengthen security by destroying sensitive information on-site. And we saw that we could develop employment opportunities for persons with disabilities. I personally feel that the biggest benefit is that the PaperLab can inspire children. For a resource-poor country like Japan, the development of high-productivity industries is important for the national identity. So, I think it is critical to instill in children a sense of awe and excitement about technology and learning.
A tangible benefit of installing PaperLab is its productivity: We are producing, on average, 18,000 new sheets of paper per month from locally recovered paper and use them to make application forms etc. This has enabled us to reduce the amount of waste paper transported off-site for disposal by 20% (FY2017 results).
PaperLab A-8000 is an office papermaking system that recycles paper right on site using a dry process.
- Contributing to the conservation of water resources with Epson's unique paper recycling technology that does not use water*3.
- "Paper to paper" recycling, where fresh sheets of copy paper are produced from used paper generated on-site, is an effective way to conserve forests.
- The ability to recycle at the office reduces the volume of paper that must be transported to off-site recyclers.
*3 A small amount of water is used to maintain a certain level of humidity inside the system.
An Eco-Conscious Office Created by Combining Inkjet Printers with an Office Papermaking System
Epson is proposing eco-conscious office solutions that benefit the environment.
Epson wrings the maximum benefit for customer from solutions that combine inkjet printers, which employ Epson’s proprietary Heat-Free Technology to reduce office power consumption, waste, and printing costs, with dry process office papermaking systems, which efficiently recycle paper to conserve water and forest resources. In addition to allowing a more environmentally friendly way to take advantage of the convenience of paper, an in-office paper recycling ecosystem delivers customer value by reducing costs and strengthening information security.
The Eco-Conscious Office Center*1 on the 29th floor of Epson’s Shinjuku office serves as a model for a metro office building. It demonstrates to visitors that a greener office can be achieved anywhere. Over the three fiscal years from 2017 to 2019, Epson installed 19 PaperLabs at its eight main sites in Japan. Through the local recycling of paper for local consumption, Epson is looking to reduce the amount of new paper purchased by the Epson Group.
Epson is giving potential customers a concrete idea about how they can improve their environmental performance by publicly disclosing our paper recycling operations and recycling data.
*1 The goal is to reduce the annual amount of new copier paper purchased by 30% (equivalent to about 1.3 million sheets) at the Shinjuku office.
Click here for more information about Epson’s Heat-Free Technology.
Raising Meeting Productivity with Interactive Communication
Epson's interactive projectors increase the productivity of interactive meetings, deliver more effective presentations, and even contribute to a smaller environmental footprint.
Reduce Your Environmental Footprint with Videoconferencing
Connect your existing videoconferencing system to the projector, and use the projector's multi-location interactive and split-screen functions to display your videoconference on one side of the screen and your presentation on the other, to achieve virtual face-to-face collaboration. This interactive projector can reduce the need for travel and reduce your environmental footprint.
Multi-location Interactive Function
- Share your PC screen with up to four locations.
- Participants in all locations can annotate a presentation and save the content to their PCs.
Split Screen Function
- Achieve virtual face-to-face collaboration while sharing whiteboard and PC screen images.
- Clearly display different content on a split screen that measures up to 100 inches.
Use as a Copyboard
The all-in-one interactive projector with copyboard, electronic blackboard, and other common whiteboard functions saves both resources and installation space. Directly annotate up to 20 sheets' worth of projected data and images, no PC required. Increase meeting productivity and minimize printouts by saving data or by emailing it directly from the projector.
Maintenance-free Light Source
The laser light source is extremely reliable, eliminating the worry of lamp failure during important presentations.
Energy and Resource-saving
Within the projector’s lifecycle, CO2 emissions will be the greatest during the stage in which it is used by the customer. Through product improvements, we will offer reductions in the consumption of electricity and natural resources during use.
- Connect your videoconferencing system to the projector, and use the multi-location interactive and split-screen functions to display your videoconference on one side of the screen and your presentation on the other, to achieve easy remote collaboration and reduce the need for travel. Helps to reduce your environmental footprint.
- This all-in-one interactive projector includes copyboard, electronic blackboard, and other whiteboard functions to save both resources and installation space.
- Projected data and images can be annotated with digital pens. Minimize printouts by saving data as is or by emailing it directly from the projector.
- The laser light source is extremely reliable, eliminating the worry of lamp failure during important presentations.
- Energy-saving features
- An illuminance sensor detects ambient brightness and automatically adjusts the output of the lamp
- You can reduce power consumption by as much as 29% using ECO mode
Revolutionizing Textile Printing Processes with Digital Technology
By introducing in digital processes, Epson's inkjet technology provides good value to customers in the textile printing industry and helps them sharply reduce their environmental footprint.
*1 A digital textile printer developed with Group company, Fratelli Robustelli S.r.l.
Streamlined Manufacturing Process
Digital textile printing is greener than traditional analog textile printing. Since the digital process is shorter and does not require plates, it uses anywhere from 40% to 75% less electrical power and water than a traditional process, as well as far less ink and fewer chemical products*2.
*2 Based on Epson's own research
Efficient Inventory Management
Digital textile printing minimizes inventory losses associated with materials, partly-finished products, and finished products, from production through distribution and sale.
- The digital textile printing process, which is shorter than the traditional analog process and does not require plates, uses anywhere from 40% to 75% less electrical power and water than a traditional process, and wastes far less ink.
- Ideal for small-lot production. Minimizes inventory losses from manufacturing through to sales.
- Digital textile printer inks have acquired Eco Passport certification, indicating that they meet international safety standard for chemical substances of textiles.
An Inkjet Workflow for Brightly Colored Garments with Fineness of Detail
There is a growing market for the printing of original images on T-shirts, polo shirts, tote bags and other cotton products. We are answering the needs of this market with advanced inkjet printing technology that renders images in vivid colors and intricate, faithful detail with low environmental impacts.
Transforming the Garment Printing Workflow
Traditional silk-screen printing requires extensive preparation, including the production of screens and the mixing of ink, as well as maintenance. For photos and other multicolored prints with gradations, the print process is long, and the longer the process, the more energy, water, materials, and other resources are used.
Digital prints produced with a SureColor SC-F2100 print digital data from a PC directly onto T-shirts and other garments. So, not only is there no need for screens or plates but images and photos can be reproduced with smooth gradations and in full color. The SureColor SC-F2100 shortens the garment printing workflow.
Moreover, the inkjet process saves resources and is more environmentally conscious than analog processes because there are no films, screens, or plates to produce, wash, or store.
Infant-safe Prints on Textiles
The UltraChrome DG inks and pretreatment liquid used in Epson's garment printers are Eco Passport*1 certified, indicating that they meet international safety standard for textiles. Under this standard, even printed textiles that directly contact the skin of infants and toddlers are safe.
*1 Eco Passport by Oeko-Tex® is a system by which textile chemical suppliers demonstrate that their products can be used in sustainable textile production.
- Streamlined garment printing workflow compared to silk-screen printing.
- Saves resources because no plates or screens are used, unlike traditional printing processes that require a separate film and screen for each color. No washing required, since there are no screens.
- UltraChrome DG ink and pretreatment liquid are certified of Eco Passport.
The Value of Color on Demand
Easily print full-color labels, tickets and tags - where and when users need them and in the quantities required.
Eliminate large inventories of pre-printed labels on demand by printing labels in short runs.
Epson's ColorWorks Inkjet Label Printers Simplify Traditional Processes
Thermal printers were traditionally used to overprint black onto pre-printed labels, but this approach can be slow, disruptive, wasteful and inconvenient. Epson's range of on-demand color inkjet printers eliminates these issues easily. With the ability to print customized color labels, tickets and tags in-house as and when required, users no longer have to worry about inventory, production downtime, label waste, lost orders or late shipments.
- Simplifying the traditional label printing process, improve inventory management and reduce waste.
- Streamline label production by printing color labels on-demand
- No need to keep an inventory of pre-printed labels
Label Printing Technology Shifting from Analog to Digital
The trend toward short-run print jobs has spread to labels and packages, giving rise to demand for efficient printing systems that can agilely respond to this demand. Epson's digital inkjet label presses provide customers with a new label printing workflow that meets their needs.
An Efficient Label Printing Process with a Low Environmental Impacts
A digital printing process does not need the press plates and other prepress processes required by analog printing processes. And, since a digital process does not use developer or film or plate materials, it conserves resources. Capable of stable, consistent output, a digital process does not require mock-ups and thus can reduce the waste of ink and label substrates during setup. Digital label presses thus offer both a more efficient workflow from start to finish and lower environmental impacts.
SurePress AQ Ink for a Better Printing Environment
Epson's SurePress AQ ink is a non-toxic, low odor, and noncombustible water-based pigment ink that offers print shops a better working environment. This ink also provides excellent adhesion on label substrates, without the need for pre-treatments or coatings.
- Save resources by removing the need for pre-press process like plate making, and eliminating the use of developer and films.
- Easy color-matching and no replacement of plates makes the SurePress less wasteful, and enables it to consume less standard label stock and ink.
- No need for special cleaning eliminates waste fluid emissions from maintenance.
- Removing the need for pre-treatment, SurePress water-based ink has good adhesion on a variety of standard label stocks. Non-toxic, low odor, and noncombustible water-based pigment ink offers print shops a better working environment.
Reducing Environmental Impacts by Providing Remote Work Assistance with Smart Headsets
Epson’s smart headsets with binocular, see-through lenses increase operational efficiency and work quality by displaying digital manuals and work instructions in the field of vision and enabling workers to perform work with both hands. In industrial settings, these headsets can be used by managers to provide remote service and maintenance personnel, for example, with instructions and assistance.
Remote Work Assistance
The centered high-resolution 5 mega-pixel front-facing camera, with an adjustable tilt angle of up to 35 degrees, enables workers to share their view and receive help with complex tasks through streaming or recorded HD pictures and videos.
In addition to safely increasing work efficiency and contributing to greater overall operational efficiency, Epson’s smart headsets enable skilled personnel in a remote location to provide technical instructions to workers on the ground. This helps to reduce the need for travel and, consequently, your environmental footprint.
- Printed paper manuals and instructions are rendered unnecessary.
- Greater work efficiency thanks to hands-free operation.
- Tasks can be completed safely because the binocular, see-through lenses allow workers to see their surroundings through projected content.
- Images and voice can be shared with workers in remote locations so that assistance can be provided effectively.
Used for work where they wear caps, or where they do not need to wear anything on their head
- Infrastructure (server room)
- Manufacturing (assembly of office automation equipment, household appliances, vehicles, etc.)
- Maintenance (large equipment such as aircraft, semiconductor manufacturing equipment)
- Agriculture (technology transfer)
Used for work where wearing a helmet is mandatory
- Infrastructure (electricity, gas, water)
- Manufacturing (heavy machinery, steel, robotics)
- Construction, Public Works (building construction, excavations, bridges)
- The headsets are equipped with a camera and sensors that provide remote personnel with an accurate picture of the situation so that they can provide workers on the ground with instructions and assistance without having to travel, so the environmental impacts associated with travel can be reduced. The headsets also promise to reduce downtime and time losses associated with travel.
- Hands-free operation enables tasks to be performed safely and efficiently, improving both operational efficiency and work quality.
Intelligent Receipt Printers that Control Peripherals
TM-T88V-DT and TM-T88V-i are next-generation receipt printers with integrated printer and PC functions that support smart store operations when connected with tablet and POS peripherals.
Greatly Simplified System Configuration
The TM-T88V-DT is loaded with interfaces for connectivity with a wide assortment of peripheral devices. Since it can be used with a Web browser and is not dependent on any one OS or terminal type, the TM-T88V-DT greatly simplifies POS system configuration.
The latest applications are always available through the cloud (Web server), reducing the environmental impacts of onsite installation and updating by the service staff.
POS configuration flexibility
Because the number of POS systems can be flexibly changed depending on the level of demand, users can reduce the environmental impacts of their operation by removing unnecessary devices.
Every network terminal is available
The latest power-saving smart devices can be utilized because the Intelligent receipt printer has no restrictions on the type of terminal or OS.
Contributes to resource-saving by incorporating the space-saving design of the TM series printers. It's footprint is approx. equal to the TM-T88V.
Paper-saving features reduce paper use by up to 30%.
- Because the number of POS systems can be flexibly changed depending on the level of demand, users can reduce the environmental impacts of their operation by removing unnecessary devices.
- The latest applications are always available through the cloud (Web server), reducing the environmental impacts of onsite installation and updating by service staff.
- The latest power-saving smart devices can be utilized because the TM-T88V-DT has no restrictions on the type of terminal or OS.
- Equipped with paper-saving features, that uses up to 30% less paper than the TM-T88IV.
- The TM-T88V-DT contributes to resource-saving by incorporating space-saving design. Its footprint is approximately equal to that of the TM-T88V.
Revamping the Photo Printing Workflow with Inkjet Minilabs
Epson inkjet minilabs are easier to maintain than traditional silver-halide photofinishing equipment. In addition to streamlining the photo printing workflow, they save maintenance costs, help to mitigate resource consumption and reduce the environmental impacts of the printing process.
Efficient Photo Printing with Digital Printing
Silver-halide minilabs require chemical adjustment and calibration in the morning, as well as waste fluid processing and cleaning at the end of the day*1. The SureLab SL-D3000 inkjet minilab, however, does not require any special maintenance at startup and shutdown. Inkjet minilabs dramatically improve the photofinishers' work environment because, without chemicals, there is no waste liquid to be processed, no parts to be cleaned, and no chemical smell.
*1 According to Epson research.
- No chemicals means no liquid waste.
- No washing process means no water hookup is needed.
- Compact body has a 2.1 m² installation footprint*2.
The compact design allows greater installation freedom.
*2 Without sorter option